Intro on: Mickey J Corrigan & "Girlfriends on Demand"



Originally from Boston, Mickey J. Corrigan writes tropical noir with a dark humor. Novels include Project XX about a school shooting (Salt Publishing, UK, 2017) and What I Did for Love, a spoof of Lolita (Bloodhound Books, UK, 2019).

Social media links:

www.mickeyjcorrigan.com

http://mickeyjcorrigan.tumblr.com/
https://www.goodreads.com/Mickey_J_Corrigan

 

 



 

1. If you didn’t write, what would you do for work?

I have a fulltime job which pays the bills (luckily) but if I didn't write books I would have more free time. And how would I fill that time? I've been a writer all of my adult life and spend most of my days at the computer or reading. I'm married to a writer who does the same. If I cut out the writing entirely, I might find myself feeling lost. It would be an interesting experiment to spend a few months NOT writing to see what I would do. Because to answer the question, I really have no idea!

 

2. Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?

I do read my reviews. They are interesting and thought provoking. Occasionally embarrassing or infuriating, but mostly informative. I want to know what people think and how they interpret what I have to say. I'd like more reviews, actually, and am sorry that so many people do not understand how much authors want to hear what their readers think. The "bad" reviews are sometimes good for a laugh, usually worth considering at the very least. I try not to let them bother me.

 

3. Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?

No, not really. I do include personal information sometimes, and quotes or lines that hold a lot of meaning for me but might not for others. So much of my work is satirical, and should not be taken too seriously. I like to poke fun at the things we are afraid of, and dive deep into the topics we'd prefer to avoid.

 

Tell us about your book...

Girlfriends on Demand is an updated version of my novel Sugar Babies. Things have changed in the last few minutes—I mean the last few years. If you have the money, you can buy yourself a girlfriend online, pay her by the month or with an apartment, clothes, trips and such, or simply pay off her tuition if she's a college student. And it's all legal…as long as she's of legal age.

One of our more publicity-seeking politicians here in the US is currently under investigation for repeatedly using an online girlfriend service—possibly with campaign money and possibly with underage girls. So there's much public interest right now in the weird world of sugar daddies and sugar babies. My novel is a cautionary tale. The story shows how the sugar life works and how it doesn't work through the eyes of three young women. And through the eyes of the man they all love, and who ruins each of them in turn.

Happy reading!

Champagne Books has provided a reboot of the contemporary thriller Sugar Babies, including an update on online arrangements for sexual relationships. In light of all the attention one Florida politician is getting, the insights into the sugar life may be of interest to curious readers. Is agreeing to sex for pay (in the form of rent money, tuition payments, or travel and gifts) the same as prostitution? Or is it just what we do in economically unequal partnerships?



Three women: I broke one’s spirit, I broke another’s neck, I married the third.

This is how a mysterious narrator begins his story of three working women in their 20s living in a contemporary tropical city. He shares the intimate details about Maire, Esme, and Niki, smart girls using their bodies and their wits to pay and play their way to a better life.

Maire O’Rourke works as a girlfriend on demand for a Coconut City multimillionaire. But Maire has bigger plans: she’s about to launch an international business to help others seeking to trade sex for funding.

Southern gal Esme Grant came to Coconut City in order to find herself a rich man willing to fund her—as well as her hometown boyfriend and their Mayberry-gone-bad dreams.

Niki Stephanopoulos is a grad student and multicultural artist who struggles with guilt, poverty, and anxiety/depression fueled by her economic woes. She reaches out to Esme and Maire for help.

Niki, Esme, and Maire want what every woman wants: romance, safe shelter, a decent future. In the tropical paradise of Coconut City, one becomes lost, another faces desperate odds, while the third falls in love with the wrong man—over and over again.

 

Available from Amazon and Champagne Books.

18 comments:

  1. I liked reading about you, thanks for sharing. Congrats on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the release of your new book and thanks for sharing about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romantic cover. Thank you for sharing these about yourself. Congratulations on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like the cover as well, the artist did a fine job.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the book!
    I try to avoid reviews at the moment - that changes over time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to the response to the first question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. It's hard to imagine a life without writing, isn't it.

      Delete
  6. Great interview and the book sounds really interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nas and Mickey - interesting read ... good luck - you seem to have hit a happy position in life re your books and subjects.

    I understand the new approach ... as I find it difficult to read some new books - so can quite see where you're coming from. So much has changed in recent years ... with the social media aspect. Good luck to you both - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hilary, social media has really changed our world. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete

Join the discussion!